Financial problems can often come from a separation or divorce.

Although money may not seem a priority, we, unfortunately, have to think about our financial situation and consequences in the event of a separation or divorce. Get divorce law advice today.

Child Support
The Child Support Agency is a government body which regulates the amount of financial support that is required for children when couples separate and divorce.
The amount of child support assessed on the non-resident parent (i.e. the parent not living with the children — usually the father, but not always) depends on:

The basic rate of child support is calculated at the following percentages of the net income if it is £200 or more a week. It reduces if the income is less (i.e. after tax, National Insurance, and pension contributions) than the income of the non-resident parent —

A reduced rate applies if the resident parent’s income is between £100 and £200 per week, and a lower flat rate applies if the non-resident parent’s income is less than £100 per week or he/she is receiving any of a wide range of benefits (such as Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance, etc.)

Divorce and pension rights

The usual situation in a family hit by divorce is that one partner will be the main earner of the household and the other partner will be the main child carer.

The Pensions Act 1995, and the Welfare Reform and Pensions Act 1999 set out to ensure that on a divorce, the pensions rights and the values already built up in a pension scheme were divided fairly. For example:

Further Information

The Jobcentre Plus website provides more information about the benefits you are entitled to here

The Department for Work and Pensions regulates all State benefits. Divorce law and family law depends on location. This could vary in locations such as London or law firms based in Brisbane.

The Child Support Agency regulates Child Support.