At some point, you may want to move to a smaller home, perhaps one that is cheaper to maintain or one that is nearer to your family and friends.

Special retirement housing developments

These are available, with neighbours in the same age bracket as you. Communal chores such as security, gardening, and maintenance, are done by paid staff, and there is therefore a regular service charge.

Home repairs and improvements

Local authorities can give grants for certain work on your house. Some areas have ‘Staying Put’ schemes to provide help for you to repair or adapt your home to enable you to stay in it rather than going into residential care homes.

Further information

The pension service, part of the Department for Work and Pensions